Sunday, October 25, 2009

I work 6 days a week & I suffer from migraine every weekend & about 3/4 times weekly, how can I prevent it?


Answer:
There is a new development in migraine therapy:
http://www.neurologyreviews.com/feb04/nr...
I get migraines if I don't drink enough water, or if I eat anything citrussy, or if I'm tired, or because of the pill, or if my head is just being stupid! They can happen pretty randomly. Maybe you could talk to your doc (particularly if you are on the contraceptive pill). Ah, you sound like a guy... well if you are on the pill you should definately stop!
you should ge this checked out, go and talk to your doctor about it, to find the cause, as it could be many things. and then you will be able to get tablets to control/stop them.
This is more that enough episode to justify a migraine prophylaxis, I am astonished you have not seen your GP already to look at this.He will check you over, and if he is happy with the diagnosis he will undoubtedly offer you one. There are a large number of options, but here are the 3 classical drugs, with some brief comments. All of these are taken everyday routinely, even if you don't have a headache.
Sanomigran - this is the most effective, its side effects are drowsiness and increased appetite.
Propranalol - fairly effective, cannot be used in asthmatics.
Clonidine - less effective, very few ill effects, can work well in some patients.
My attacks started from the age of 11, due to mental exhaustion (I was being bullied at school) I used to suffer one every morning, I vomited and cried from the pain and was petrified I'd swallow my tongue as it along with my nose would go completely numb. My (uncaring) mum thought I was 'putting it on' and never took me to the doctor until I physically couldn't stand up one morning because of it. I wasn't offered any suitable medication, just iron tablets for the anaemia I had at the same time. My doctor was a stiff upper lip and 'pull yourself together' type so I used to spend all my time in a darkened room, throwing up, head exploding till I fell asleep. When I woke after the attack, I'd have a pounding headache for two more days. Mine only eased up when I had my first baby and I still get one during my period and occassionally at other times but I can deal with that. I also had a mild stroke 6 and a half years back, so don't take anything like this lightly, go see a doctor.
You could have migraine with bad breath and an upset stomach.If so, it could be caused by excessive growth of candida in the alimentary canal or elsewhere.The cure would be: 1) avoid refined sugar, white bread, etc. 2) Taking something like Capricin (Generic name: caprylic acid) It is non-prescription and is available in health food shops.If you spot patterns like sweaty clothes, you might bring spares with you. Sunglasses are sometimes useful also.
Stress and tiredness can be a factor in migraines. If you go and see your GP they can give you a preventative tablet. I used to take them when I was younger because like you I had 3 or 4 a week. The name escapes me now though sorry!
your doc will recomend you something for the headaches
Make sure they are just migraines, though they are bad enough! See your GP, ask for the latest migraine tablets or get him/her to refer you to a neurologist for tests. Dont ignore these headaches. May be nothing but get it checked. Could be blood pressure related too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Health Care © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net