Sunday, October 25, 2009

I will have a screw removed from my ankle after 10 weeks, Will I be able to walk right after?

I am walking on a walking cast now but still limping when they remove it on Tuesday will I still be able to walk? I asked my doctor he didnt answer very clearly.
Answer:
Yes you will. This is common for the type of fracture you had. They place a long screw that goes across both the tibia and fibula which needs to be removed after 10-12 weeks. This long screw allows the ligament in btw the 2 bones to heal and as soon as it comes out, other than normal removal screw pain - you should be able to walk normally. PT will help if you're not confident enough to start walking normally. Normal to be hesitant after being off of it for so long. You're in the last few phases of healing and before you know it, you'll be back to normal.
you should be able to walk but expect it to be a bit wierd for a while. maybe some weakness in the muscle and stiffness in the joints but physiotherapy will speed recovery.
I think that would be overly optimistic. The surgery itself is painful and additional trauma. You may have a fair amount of new swelling. I would think it likely for you to get a removable walking boot, and crutches for at least a few more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Health Care © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net