Sunday, October 25, 2009

I woke up with my cheek swollen and lower jaw sore. What can I do to alleviate that pain?

I havent had my wisdom teeth removed yet, but mouth and cheek are sore. Gums feel ok and teeth do not hurt but it feels like theres a swollen muscle in my cheek and it's tough to even open my mouth
Answer:
get Advil soft gel capsules and take them four times a day. These work very quickly. ice pack on the outside of your cheek for ten minutes. If you can open your mouth I recommend frozen milk shakes or Popsicles to numb the inside of your mouth.
Oh! I know. You can go on with your day and pretend you don't feel the pain.
You have an abcess. Scared of Dentists? Too bad. It will swell your eye shut. Maybe you know a pill junkie who will 'give' you a Percoset or Vicoden.
For the discomfort today,you can take some Ibuprofen or Aleve (naprosyn) because they are both NSAID's,that relieve pain and lessen the swelling. Applying an ice or cold pack will help also.You will need to see your Dentist and make sure the teeth are healthy and not impacted.Wisdom teeth become impacted because there is no room in the jaw bones to accommodate them to come in straight. Take care. SW FNP
First of all, make an appointment to see the dentist as soon as possible. Until you get in to see him/her there are some things you can do to help manage the pain and swelling. Take some ibuprofin as directed. If this upsets your stomach, try taking the pills with a little food or a couple of Tums as that will help to buffer your stomach. Ice will help to ease the pain and swelling a bit, too. Ice the trouble-area for twenty minutes at a time. I iced twenty minutes on, twenty minutes off until the pain lost its edge. If you don't have one of those gel ice packs, try a bag of frozen peas or corn... seriously, it works. In case one of your wisdom teeth has caused an abscess, do NOT use heat. Using heat on an abscess will make it spread. I hope you get some relief soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Health Care © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net