Tuesday, May 25, 2010

If you had a bedwetting problem growing up, did you ever have a "relapse" after you had basically stopped...

...and wet the bed again, even though it was months or years after you had originally stopped?Or, once you stopped, did you completely stop for good? I was a bedwetter until I was 12 and have had this happen periodically ever since. Nothing has ever been found medically wrong with me (other than bedwetting)... basically I've just been told that the mechanism that keeps my bladder from overfilling during sleep never quite matured to the point of being completely foolproof, so that even though I'm OK on 99% of nights, it's still possible for me to have an "accident" if I'm really tired, sick, or under too much stress.Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? How do you cope with the unpredictability of the occasional "accident"... or do you just try not to worry about it? I've heard that it's more common than people would think, but am curious how common this is among people who wet the bed as kids, and what those who are affected do to cope with it.
Answer:
I wet the bed until I was about 12 or 13 too. The doctor told me that I had a small bladder and so I was unable to hold it as long. After I got older I didn't wet the bed nearly as much, but I did periodically. I got in the habit, still to this day, of going to the bathroom before I go to bed, even if I don't feel I have to. I would often have dreams where I was going to the bathroom and that was my cue, in the middle of the night, to get up and go potty. Sometimes I would wake up in time sometimes I wouldn't. It was hard for me to cope with. Especially now that I am married. In the five years I've been married I have wet the bed a couple of times. It's really, really embarrasing. But thankfully I have an understanding husband. I haven't wet the bed in about two years and that was the first time in three. I think that, unfortunately, for us with this problem it will be with us for the rest of our lives. As we get older the episodes become less and less, but there is always the chance it will happen again. You are definitely not alone in this area. I had a boyfriend with the same problem. It took me a long time to confess to my husband about this problem.
Some times when i get too drunk and pass out i piss my self,but thats about it.
Bedwetting tends to occur when you sleep too deeply to wake up when your bladder is full. There are medications that can help, but if it only happens occasionally, perhaps you could put an incontenence bedpad under your sheet in the appropriate place. You would only need to change it when you have an accident. It will protect your mattress without the need for uncomfortable plastic mattress covers. Then just clean the sheets and bedpad with a little bleach. You should be able to find bedpads at a local pharmacy or Walmart, but if not, then check out this link.
http://www.northshorecare.com/underpads1...
It happens all the time. It sounds like you covered the basics. Parts or body regulatory methods may not have fully developed. In some cases the relapse is caused by stress. You have control over it but whatever mental or physical stress is happening can take over the part of your mind that was controlling the problem.
Recognizing the stress and trying to control it, either through relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga or eliminating the stressors can help if that is the problem.
As far as what else you can do. Mostly forget about it. Try adult diapers during particularly bad times. Also just make sure your bed partners knows what is going on. Mattress protection is very available. it isn't like the old noisy plastic stuff your mom used when you where 12.
Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Health Care © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net